• Application must be made by completion of an application form available from the school office.
• All forms must be returned to the school.
• Parents will be informed in writing of the outcome of the application.
A copy of the child’s birth certificate is required to verify the date of birth. Only the Governing Body may admit and no representation by any person including governor, staff member, clergy or anyone elected to or employed by the local authority can be regarded as an indication of offer or promise of a place. Only a written offer from the governing body can be accepted as an admission offer. A place in the Nursery Class is not a guarantee of a place in the Reception Class and parents must apply for a place in Reception. Priority will not be given to parents of pupils that have attended the Nursery Class. In the case of oversubscription, the criteria shown below will apply.
Over Subscription Criteria:
When there are more applicants than available places, admission will be made in accordance with the order of priority in the over-subscription criteria and procedure listed below. If the governors are unable to admit all applicants within a particular category, priority will be given to those residing closest to the school as measured by the safest walking route. Where the number of applications for admission exceeds the number of places available, places will be awarded in the following order of priority:
1. Looked after children and previously looked after children of the Catholic faith.
2. Looked after children and previously looked after children.
3. Children who are Baptised into the Roman Catholic Church and living in the designated catchment areas for St Michael’s.*
4. Baptised siblings of Roman Catholic pupils who are already attending the school.
5. Siblings of pupils of other Christian denominations who are already attending the school.
6. Siblings of children of other faiths who are already attending the school.
7. Catholic pupils resident outside the catchment area.
8. Other children
Religious affiliation will need to be demonstrated by the child’s baptismal certificate.
*Designated Catchment areas: Bedlinog, Trelewis and Edwardsville (Merthyr LA); Nelson (Caerphilly LA); Cilfynydd, Pontypridd, Glyncoch, Ynysybwl, Church Village, Beddau, Llantrisant, Dolau, Pontyclun, Miskin, Talbot Green, Efail Isaf (RCT LA) ; Creigiau, Pentyrch, Gwaelod y Garth, Ty Rhiw and Tongwynlais (Cardiff LA).
Parents have a statutory right of appeal against a decision not to admit a pupil. Appeals should be addressed to:
The Chairperson of St Michael’s Governing Body
St Michael’s R.C. Primary School, John Place Treforest, Pontypridd CF37 1SP
Arrangements will then be made for an independent panel to consider the appeal.
Details of the appeals process will be made available to parents when they are notified of a refusal of a place (or if they request such information from the Governing Body).